Wednesday, May 10, 2006

gramshaw


So todays training. Where do I start? Well, I had a better day than chautauqua giral did, that's for sure. Emergency procedure was quick and fairly painless. Though they still are making everyone "go to the river". Okay, maybe the fort and '85 I can see getting stuck out there, but '05. Seriously? It's so much further than just going to the front. And I stilldon;t understand what they are going to do with us and all the visitors once we're there. I mean, I guess I don't really understand what situation wouldarise that we would have to evacuate like that. If it's something to do with the weather, it's not going to help us being out over there. If it's a fire, maybe, but we would be still suspiciously close to the fort and lots of wood and we're not any better off than going to the front. Maybe someone can enlighten me I don't feel like thinking abou it any more.

Then Gramshaw (an interp from the previous era, I was a volunteer on '05 one year he was interping there, like 8 years ago or sometng like that) came and gave a talk on presenting heritage. I thought it was a really good talk and gave me a lot to think about in terms of what we do, what biases we choose to present and the value of a site like this in today's society. I never really thought about the difference between presenting history and presenting heritage and about the visitors expectations of one or the other.

Then instead of program planning boredom we went into era specific stuff. Which is not making me excited to be in the fort. I am sad to say. The programs don't excite me one bit, I don't know what I was expecting, I mean I just wanted a change and a challenge, which is what I'm getting, but still. I now I've already said this, but I'm worried. I think it's think long training time. I just need people in front of me and all will be well. even children. They're kind of like people... right?

2 comments:

Kate Mc said...

I don't know about children being people... 'parasites' does spring to mind...

I took an entire course on History and Heritage this year, trying to distinguish the two, etc. It _was_ really interesting... and I ended up writing my paper on FEP! 'Twas good times.

Kate Mc said...

Ok, and every time I see the bird at the top there, it makes me smile, so I've been visiting this blog a few times today. =)