Monday, February 05, 2007

gah. small venting required.

I was working really well, finally getting stuff done on my essay, until this girl decided to sit next to me and mouth breath.

okay, fair enough, it's cold season and I can't fault her for what may be illness induced loud breathing. But it bugs me nonetheless and that's all I can think of right now. I keep thinking about something I read about in a turn of the century text about mouth-breathers and their inherently boorish nature...
Maybe I'll go home and try and work there instead. I need some lunch anyways.

Addition: this made me think of weird thing about me #2:
I am oddly fascinated about the concept of mouth breathing and all that it implies. This text I was referring to talked about a student who was below average and a mouth breather until undergoing an operation to remove some sort of nodules from his nose. Surprise surprise... he instantly became a perfect child who was bright, caring, athletic and had perfect posture! (I may be exaggerating somewhat, but the idea is there). And ever since then, as previously noted, I have been oddly fascinated by this. I suppose it is the idea that something as small as how we breath can be, and is, a point for stereotyping and debasing others, and how these ideas can get handed down from periods in time where we can excuse this sort of thinking but somehow manage to linger on.
Okay, I'm over thinking this, I'm in essay mode...

4 comments:

Magnolia said...

Were her eyes really close together too? Talk about boorish! ;-)
Glad you're feeling good about the essay!

Crispy said...

I'm not sure about her eyes, I tried not to look apart from casting her daggers in my mind...

Crispy said...

I remember this conversation bonobo, I've never noticed and obnoxious breathing noises. You're more than fine, you're grand.

george said...

it's funny how the little things can have such a huge impact on our day-to-day funcitoning. for me it's noises...repeitive small noises that most people don't notice...drive me to distraction. i hope future library trips are more successful and less distraction-y.