Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Blogging lull

Everyone seems to be in a blogging lull right now, so I thought I'd do my best to make myself get out of mine so that others might follow suit. You never know, right?

So yesterday I bussed into Oxford (approximatley 3hrs each way) so that I could have an interview with this fellow named John Camp who runs an excavation in the Athenian agora that I would like to be on this summer. It's an intersting locaion to dig, it's in Athens, it fits with the time between school and the lefkandi dig I'm on, you don't have to pay, and they supply accommodation and a food allowance. All in all, not bad prospects. The problems are that I will still be finishing my course and need to be in Cambridge when it starts, missing about a week at the beginning, and the fact that I'm Canadian studying at a British school puts me in the cracks in terms of allegiance on an American dig. So I've been accepted to the dig, but he doesn't want me to take up a bed and would prefer for me to find my own accommodation. Eep. It will be subsidised with €50 a week, but only the cheapest of hostels go for about €11 euro. It's okay, I think I'd be willing to do that since I've stayed in one of those hostels before and it wasn't bad quality wise. But still. I think the accommodation they provide is much nicer. I'm trying to see if the canadian institute in Athens can help me out with anything, but it's so small that I doubt they'd have anything. I'll keep looking, who knows, maybe if I pick the brains of some of my connected friends I can find someone to stay with or something like that.

So there' that. My essay is due on Friday, and it's actually shaping up. It's much too long right now, and I have no idea what to cut, but it has a good point to it and I think that the argument I'm making is much better than in my first essay. It's the writing that still needs some help, but hey, I've still got a couple of days to make it work. I just need to focus. And skip German.
After this week I can start to really focus on my pot sherd project and getting my thesis off the ground. I'm excited for both, I feel headed in at least the right general direction right now.

I think.

What else...? Oh, my soccer team is finished for the season (it's considered a winter sport here, which I think is absurd. I suppose they have to limit it, but still, there is absolutely no reason why soccer cannot be played in the summer as well). As you can tell I'm rather grumpy about it being over. Now how am I going to be motivated to get out and run around? Seriously. This is not a good move for my mental or physical wellness.
We did, I think, perfectly. We tied for first place on points in the league with two other teams (we each won 6 out of 7 games), but we were in third place with the lowest goal differential. This means that although we did really well, the team stays in the third tier and doesn't move up a level. This is perfect because I think that staying in the 3rd tier is good for a team who is not necessarily in it to compete and it's important that those who have never played before but want to join don't feel outclassed. Therefore, we placed perfectly.

Alright, so now, needs must focus.

No comments: