Thursday, March 01, 2007

I am in a very bad state of lethargy.
I pu it down to having finished my essay last week and having let myself relax a bit. It's just hard for me to get going again. It's not that I haven't done some real work, I've sat in the back of the museum looking at my pot sherds quite a lot, but I seem to be in a general state of apathy at the moment. I know I have to work, and work well since my parents are coming in a little over a week and I want to take a bit of time to travel with them guilt free. Which is fine. I'll get there. I just have a few really boring texts to get through first.

What is more interesting to me right now is trying to sort out my future. Since I won't know if I am actually accepted into Cambridge until July, and since I won't know if I've been accepted with funding until... September, and given the state of my applications, I think I have to assume that I will not be starting my PhD this year and look at what my options are for this year coming up. Why, why did I choose to work in a field where you don't get paid? Where you are lucky if you get subsistence? I mean, I don't mind working for that to gain experience and further my skills and connections in the field, but I now have student loans that will need to be payed off sometime. But I have been shaking the Cambridge tree and somethings have been at least thinking of falling out.
1) there is a early iron age site in turkey that needs someone to help develope a pottery sequence. This would be amazing experience and possibly could be funded through the British institute there, which, I am told, doesn't have a lot of competition for scholarships. So here's hoping.
2) I and some of my supervisors have connections with the British school in Knossos which has a museum full of sherds that needs to be worked through. But they might not have funding / need another person to help do it.

I was also thinking of trying to find some work in one of the many musems in Germany so I could learn german and get experience at the same time, but I think that's a longer shot. I'm trying though.
So if any of you have some bizarre connection to a German museum...

This is my future. Excitingly unknown? financially insecure? reliant on personal connections rather than ability? You bet!

1 comment:

Kate Mc said...

You already know I totally empathize with your situation... but I thought I'd say it again just for the record... =S