Friday, March 09, 2007

So wicked was wicked. Such an easy pun to make, it needed to be done. it was perfect musical fodder. Not exactly a deep story line, but witty enough to keep it interesting. The music was fairly standard and extremely emotive, lots of good belty moments since the main role is a lower voice (alto I think, but maybe mezzo-soprano). Nice set, elaborate costumes, good effects and a sweet message about being true to yourself round it off. I'm sure that this musical has become the bain of the auditioner's existence since a few of the songs I'm sure will have already become fast favourites.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and it was fantastic to see my folks again.

Academically, I've still been getting nowhere fast. My sherd project has turned towards a nw focus that as left practically all of the work I've done on it thus far obsolete. But I think (/hope) it will be the better for it. And knowledge is knowledge right? never wasted.

I also just found out that the supervisor I thought I was doing my dissertation with is actually leaving the country. So I'm dissapointed about that, I don't think I'll do as well with someone else guiding me. She was fantastic and wasn't afraid to tell me when I was bullshitting. I'll figure it out, but I'm cursing a bit.

I talked with another professor about a project that could form the basis of my Phd. Can you say underqualified? It sounds like the perfect project in that it's interesting and new that has both a specific focus and a broader consequence and it would be linked to an archaeological site. It would be a lot of responsibility on me though to be extremely accurate. I would be in charge of creating a pottery sequence of the materials in close association with the stratigraphy, both informing the other. This would also mean that I would go on the excavation and it would be on me to choose the sherds that are representative samples. I could easily screw this up, and if I were starting tomorrow, I'd be screwed. But I'm not starting tomorrow, I have some time to get m act together and I'm excited for it. It seems that it wouldn't be a problem if I can't start this year due to funding/ acceptance and it would also allow me to take the job at knossos I've been offered for a few months to gain some experience in cataloguing and databasing. The main thing I have to do is get a first on my dissertation so that I can even worry about funding.
It would also mean that I don't really have to focus on learning german... just turkish. Gah.

2 comments:

Magnolia said...

I AM SO JEALOUS!!!!!
I LOVE WICKED!! I am hoping to see it next year when TK and I go to New York. Was Indina Menzel still playing Elphaba? If so, YOU"RE SO LUCKY! I think she's a bit of a goddess. Woah, theatre nerd alert.

I've sang "Popular" in quite a few auditions now. It's a good comedic piece.

Crispy said...

No it wasn't Indina Menzel I'm afraid. Was she playing it in New york or London? Her name was Kerry Ellis I think. But she did very well.

Definitely, I first heard songs from it at your musical theater class year end thingy, and yes, that;s why I wanted to see it so badly.