Saturday, December 02, 2006

Cambridge.

A place where people study hard, but play harder. Apparently. It's pretty rampant, but I guess I'm just not used to college dormitory life. It's not really that bad but it's fairly constant.

Last night was the 'mingle' entitled 'Fear and Loathing in Las Minglas'. That means an Elvis impersonator and many an undergrad in stockings and hot pants. They turned all of the room in one of the buildings on campus into different places to dance with pretty impressive decor. I danced a lot, didn't drink, but am still tired this morning since I got up at 7 to attend a Founders day mass at the chapel followed by an ale breakfast. Interesting tradition. What's more interesting is the dinner that we are having tonight.
It's restricted to last year undergrads and first year grads (who didn't go the previous year, you can only go once) and is completely free. It includes a 7, yes a 7, course meal including a different type of wine with each course. And it's black tie of course. Wow. I'm sure that Henry VI would be so very proud of our gourmandizing.

speaking of proud...


Look what I managed to do! This is a colour reconstruction of the pediment sculpture that I've been writing on for my first essay that I managed to make. I did it by hand first, but the details didn't come out as clean as I wanted, so I thought I'd try and do it on computer though the program they have here is one I never used before. It took me awhile to figure out how to get things started, and took a long time to do once I figured it out... but I did it! Yay! Small victories.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! That's awesome!

And enjoy the wine - sounds like fun. It's traditions like those I wish I'd had in York... but that's what I get for choosing a new uni, I suppose, eh?

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome pic, and I'm glad you're attending a seven course multi-wine dinner!

Anonymous said...

My mom is very excited for your seven course meal. Have lots of fun!
Yous colour reconstruction is very good, but oh my! Imagine a whole pediment in those colours! It's like an MGM musical!

Anonymous said...

The scary bit is, there are theories going around that it likely WOULD have been painted those colours. Medieval churches did it, and Roman statues have been found with paint like that on them...

MGM musical indeed!