Saturday, August 19, 2006

A shorty

this ones going to be short, mainly because not too much has been happening that warrent elaboration. We've been digging. and with my new duties as trench assistant along with ensuring that all the soil sample, flots, and residues get done means that I am actually fairly busy. This week though was a shorter week due to a holiday the greeks had on tuesday (since we employ greek workmen we couldn't dig and thus went to the apotheke in the morning and had the afternoon off). but it was also very hot, and i'm still getting used to organising myself to get everything done well and in a timely fashion. I also switched rooms. My old one was not big enough to store all the sieving equipement that I have to look after so I had to move which is alright in that it's bigger, but not as nice in terms of being closer to the street and to the noise. My first night consisted of getting woken up at around 4:30 when the dog had trapped some animal (I think it was a cat, but it shot out so suddenly that I couldn't really tell) under a table and was barking inssesantly at it until we went out and got it out with some prodding.
And the GReek culture never ceases to amaze me. For example, this random Greek woman at the bustop swatted my hand from my mouth and told me to stop chewing my nails. She managed to get across to me using various hand gestures that she used to chew hers as well but then she either stopped or died. I'm not sure which...
can you imagine that happening in Edmonton?
I should start doing that. randomly going up to people and, say, swatting cigarettes out of their mouths. or throwing their cell phones into the garbage. something like that.

anyhoo,
the third week has seen many people tired and grumpy and covered in dirt and extremely hot, thus I have left lefkandi for the night and with only a couple of other people am eating at a real restaraunt and perhaps going to play some pool. If we can find a pool house that is.
so I must leave and go do that.
All the best.

1 comment:

Kate Mc said...

I would PAY to see you swat someone's cigarette or cell phone away from them. =)